Hey, how'd that interview go?

I took a gamble this semester, a gamble of whether I was ready for the "real world" that I'm gonna be thrust into after Sallie Mae is tired of paying my bills. So, I stalked professors until they'd give me the names of newspapers looking for interns. Sat down, crossed my fingers, prayed to every deity, and sent out a request for information for the Human Resources department at the Tribune. About 20 minutes later, a Mr. Victor Smith (I now realize that fate worked in my favor with the irony of a Victoria Thomas meeting a Victor Smith) responded that I should send my resume and cover letter in; honestly -- I didn't even type up either of those documents before inquiring about the position, yet made one in 20 minutes. Sent it off, after several days I received a call asking what kind of internship I'd be interested in.

I'm sitting here flattered that the oldest black owned and published newspaper in the United States was interested in my material, I said -- whatever position you have, but I have plenty of web expertise -- and internship in that would work out really well.

Well, long story short, I was called in for an interview. Can we say NERVOUS. I had everything from "Do they employ lesbians?" to "I hope I don't wake up with a pimple in the middle of my face!" --- However, my confidence shot up to the top once I realized that what I was experiencing what I've been waiting for since I was seven... that'd I be going corporate and that I'd sitting across the conference table from the most influential people in African American publishing industry wanted me to join .... them.

Needless to say, I am now preparing for the FIRST largest career in my life. National Association of Black Journalist here I come!

0 comments:

Post a Comment